Vegan Pho-Inspired Soup
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- half a large red onion (a little over 1c roughly chopped)
- ginger (~25 grams)
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 medium sized carrot roughly chopped (~1c)
- 1.5 c roughly chopped celery
- 4 c water
- 3 c veggie broth (Kroger brand)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Keep your heat on high, and begin by sautéing your onion in your oil for about a minute. Then, add in your ginger, garlic, and coriander seeds and sauté for couple of more minutes.
- Then, add in the rest of your ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat down on low and let the broth simmer for 30 minutes. Strain with a sieve before serving.
- Note: you can serve this broth with whatever noodles and veggies you like! I enjoy mine with red and green cabbage, carrots, green onions, baked tofu, Wei-Chaun low mein noodles/ traditional pho rice noodles, lime juice, sriracha, and sambal!! The last three ingredients in particular really tie the the flavor of the broth together perfectly.