More Recipes You’ll Love
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 1 c yellow onions finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped
- 2 black tea bags
- 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/3 c coriander leaves and stems loosely packed and chopped OR to taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 choti elachi (cardamom)
- 1 badi elachi (black cardamom)
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 4.5 c water
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 6 mint leaves (optional)
- Sauté your onions in oil until translucent and then add in hing.
- Next, add in your ginger and garlic and cook for another minute or so before adding in your cumin, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, and amchur powder.
- Make sure to turn your heat to low so that you don't burn your spices, and then let everything simmer for another minute.
- Add in your can of diced tomatoes, your green chillies, and your fresh cilantro, and mint.
- Now add in your salt, choti elachi, badi elachi, and cloves, and simmer the mixture on a medium-low heat for another 10-15 minutes until all the water has released from the tomatoes.
- Add in your chickpeas, water, and tea bags and cook for 30 minutes in your pressure cooker. Note: just lightly place the teabags on top of the water – no need to mix them in – we want to ensure they don’t break.
- Remove bay leaves and tea bags before serving.