Introduction to Potato Soft Tacos:
I think I can speak for all of us when I say I was heartbroken when Taco Bell took their potato soft tacos off their menu temporarily. As a vegetarian this was one of my favorite options on their menu, so I immediately scrambled to come up with this recipe which, dare I say, is even better!
This taco is filled with spicy and well-seasoned crispy potatoes and topped with a rich and creamy jalapeno sauce.
If you’re really trying to authenticate the version directly from Taco Bell, I recommend topping it off with shredded lettuce and shredded cheese. However, normally I just skip the lettuce when I make these at home because I rarely use lettuce on a regular basis in other dishes and I try not to purchase ingredients I’ll only ever use in one dish. But of course, if you love lettuce and have it on hand, feel free to throw some on top.
PRO TIP: The taco bell version also uses cold cheese but I prefer melted cheese with these tacos. So, right before the crispy potatoes are finished cooking in the air fryer (about 1-2 minutes before), I add my cheese on top and then add the potatoes back into the airfryer. This perfectly melts the cheese right before serving!
Air Fryer vs. Oven
An airfryer is basically just a mini convection oven, so feel free to use an oven if you don’t have an air fryer on hand. But if you have the option to choose between the two I would definitely go with the air fryer over the oven. The potatoes cook a little faster and turn out a just a little crispier in the air fryer! Plus, a regular oven takes much longer to heat up and I’m patient. lol. And with an airfryer, you don’t have to really wait for it to preheat.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Potato Soft Tacos
- 2 tsp Canola Oil
- 3 Gold Potatoes (~500 grams)
- 2 tsp Tapatio Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 1/2 c Sour Cream
- 1/2 c Mayonnaise ( I used veganaise)
- 1.5 tbsp Sriracha
- 2 tbsp Pickled Jalapenos
- 2 tbsp Pickled Jalapeno brine
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/8 tsp Smoked Paprika
- dash of Cayenne
- 3/4 tsp Red Chili Powder
- Green Chillies
- White Vinegar
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Soft Tacos
- Butter (I use earth balance)
- Peel and chop your potatoes into small cubes.
- In a bowl, add your potatoes, oil, tapatio, and all of your spices. (Red chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, and salt).
- Mix well and make sure the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Place your potatoes in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Make sure to shake the air fryer basket half way through the cooking process so the potatoes cook evenly.
- In a food processor, add all of your sauce ingredients and blend well until you get a smooth and creamy consistency!
Additional Toppings – Green Chillies Soaked in Vinegar
- Chop up your favorite green chilies – you can use jalapeno, serrano, or whatever you like.
- place these chilies in a small bowl filled with white vinegar and let them soak at least 15 minutes. You can then use this as a topping with tacos.
Cooking the Tortilla
- Make a 1:1 mixture of melted butter and tapatio sauce.
- Coat each side of the tortillas in this mixture and cook on medium heat.
- Finish with your favorite toppings: cheese, lettuce, cilantro, or whatever else you like.