Vegetarian Birria Tacos
- 5 arbol chilles
- 2 california chillies
- 2 guajillo chillies
- 1/4 c yellow onions
- 2.5 tbsp chopped garlic
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 tsp pasilla powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 c san marzano tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2.5 c veggie broth
- 5.5 c water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 170 g portabella mushrooms
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/3 c of the broth we just made
- yellow onions
- street tacos
- Sauté yellow onions in oil until translucent, then add in garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add salt, cloves, red chili powder, cumin, oregano, pasilla powder, cinnamon, and peppercorns. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add tomatoes, and crush down with a wooden spoon and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add in veggie broth, 4c of the water, the arbol chillies, california chillies, guajillo chillies, and bay leaves.
- Let the broth simmer for about an hour on low medium heat. About 20 minutes before its done, add another 1.5 c of water.
- Take out bay leaves, and blend broth well with an immersion blender.
- Chop mushrooms into thin strips and sauté in oil until all water releases.
- Add in taco seasoning and cook for another minute.
- Add in some of the broth we made earlier, and cook the mixture until its fully absorbed into the mushrooms.
- Dip your tacos in the broth and cook over medium heat. Add mushroom "meat" and cheese in center, and fold the edges of the tacos together.
- Add more broth as needed to cook the tacos.
- Serve with yellow onions and fresh cilantro and side of extra broth for dipping.